Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas

Our Christmas festivities are over for this year. Last night we celebrated with Aliya and her new husband, Chad, at my in-laws. My mother-in-law, Sandy, goes way overboard on this holiday. Every room is heavily decorated, even the hallways and bathrooms. She also likes giving mountains of gifts to everybody. You just never know what you might unwrap. I think Chad was overwhelmed, just as I was at my first Christmas with the Dean's.

I didn't do very well in the gift giving department this year. I just couldn't come up with any good ideas so rather than give items that would find their homes in attics and garages I tried to think of everyday useful things. I hope the recipients weren't too disappointed; maybe I'll be better inspired next year.

I even had a hard time with Rocky; I used up all my good ideas earlier in the year so he got a pocket radio for the Duck games and an elk wall hanging. He scored points with me though. He gave me a Light Wedge and a chair massager. I guess I'll have to let his forgetting my birthday slide.

Aliya gave me the most perfect gift, novelty yarn. I was quite surprised, delighted, and touched. I haven't been given a Christmas gift like that since my mom died. I have no idea what the yarn wants to become, but eventually the perfect pattern will come along for it. I'm sure it will be beautiful whatever it will be, coming from a lush, soft yarn like this.

Of course the most important part of Christmas is just being with and hearing from loved ones. Not only did we get to spend a fun evening with the Dean's, but we exchanged phone calls with three of my brothers and one of my aunts. For the perfect ending to a perfect holiday Rocky and I are spending the day home alone in our sweats and our hair uncombed.

Merry Christmas everybody.

No comments: