Saturday, December 29, 2007

Knee Socks

I have some new socks I'm working on. They are very basic with stockinette feet and a 2 x 2 rib for the cuff. All I know about the yarn is that it is a cotton sock yarn; I bought it on eBay and it didn't have the label with it. It was one skein that I divided in two by weight with the ball winder so I knew how much yarn I could use for each sock. My first sock, which isn't quite finished, started out as a pattern until I decided the yarn was too busy for the pattern; so there are some inconsistencies in the sock. Since they are for me, I don't care; I doubt anybody will get close enough to my legs to see them.



On this sock I started at the top of the cuff and knit for as far as I thought was safe without running out of yarn, knit in the waste yarn where I'd put the heel, knit what I thought would be the rest of the foot but stopped where I thought the toe would start. I have a lot of the #2 sock needles that I'm using so I went back to put the heel in and tried the sock on before finishing the toe. After getting the entire sock done with a perfect fit to my foot I still had a lot of yarn left so I unraveled the cast on and proceeded with lengthening the cuff. (This caused another inconsistency in the cuff, but not too noticeable.) As you can see in the photo it has become a knee sock, which I am thrilled about since I don't have any. I stopped before running completely out of yarn just in case I don't get as far on the other sock before running out.

On the second sock I cast on at the ankle, knit a couple of rows, knit the waste yarn in, and I'm now knitting the foot. I'll use the other sock for the pattern where to start the toe, I'll then knit in the heel, I'll unravel my cast on (it I had really been thinking I would have used an invisible cast on), and the rest of the yarn will knit the cuff from the bottom up.

It all sounds more complicated than it really is. I'm doing everything I would be doing anyway (except the unraveling) just in a different order. This way I should be able to use all the yarn and I can easily match the length of the socks to each other. I can't wait to wear my first pair of hand knit knee socks.

PS. I tried on the first sock and it isn't quite to my knee yet.

No comments: