Thursday, June 25, 2009

New Beginnings

Is that redundant? "New Beginnings"

This week was my first week back to school in 22 years. The first day started out well with Chemistry and an instructor who is very easy to understand and follow.

Then I had to stand in line at the bookstore for about an hour to pick up one of the packets I needed, but the Biology one was out and they hoped to have more on the shelf Tuesday.

When Biology started I began to think that this going back to school thing was a mistake. The instructor had slides that he whipped through, it felt like we were supposed to already know a lot of the stuff he was talking about (this is cell biology; not something you think about every day), and he gave us four homework assignments that were due Wednesday, two of these assignments were in the packet. Tuesday my plan was to stay home and do nothing but homework and study, but I had to waste about an hour and a half and gas to drive back out to LCC just to buy the packet.

When I got home on Monday I was feeling rather discouraged so I took some photos that I thought were a little uplifting:

These are the cherries on one of our trees this year:
Now, I don't particularly like cherries, but we seldom see this many and have never had any after the birds ate them. Besides, what could be more cheery than cherries?

Rocky decided to raise a garden this year:

There's already squash coming on:
As you can see, he has a temporary fence around it. Even though it is only five feet tall the deer haven't been in yet. He does have a back up plan in case that happens. I'll keep you posted on it.

Here's what are left of my goats. This is Pearl:
She's pretty shy, but she's a sweetheart.

Next is Otto (Short for Silverado). He's a fun goat. He likes to play a lot and loves attention, but he's careful not to do damage (to people, that is).
Here's Billy ("The Butthead"):
Billy likes to inflict pain. I don't know why, he just does. Maybe he has "little goat syndrome", he is part pygmy. Maybe I shouldn't have taken a picture of him, it doesn't feel very uplifting.

Actually, after yesterday I'm feeling better about school. It's still going to be tough, but very interesting. Yesterday I learned about cell division and got to look at one of my cheek cells under the microscope; it looked like a fried egg.

Now it's time to get my chores and dinner done so I can hit the books again.

No comments: