Monday, June 1, 2009

I Did It.

I can't believe what I am about to do at the age of 40, but it's all set in motion now. I have enrolled for Summer term at Lane Community College. I am very excited, but also quite nervous. My current plan is to become a Medical Lab Technician (they are the people who perform the tests on blood, urine, tissue, etc.). If all goes according to plan and I don't flunk out of the biology and chemistry classes I should complete the program in three years. From there I could end up at a place like Oregon Medical Laboratories, in a hospital lab, a doctor's office, veterinarian clinic, or even a blood bank.

Now, I have been down the college road before with big plans, so I know they can change. For now I am looking ahead at this exciting new career possibility. It will feel good to do something that feels important and helpful.

In exploring this venture I found out that college credits don't expire or rot, so I get to make use of the year I spent at the University of Oregon in the mid 1980's (too bad I didn't take any Biology or Chemistry classes while there). I also found out that I might be able to get Art credits for my spinning, knitting, and weaving hobbies. Both of these things really excited me.

You have to check out this webcam. I'll let it be a surprise, but let you know that it is on the USDA Forest Service's website.

No comments: