Saturday, March 1, 2008

Billy the Kid

We have an angora goat named Silverado (Otto for short) who is about 14 years old and near the end of his life. I've been giving him extra feed and decided to give him a shot of vitamin A & D on Thursday after dosing our crias.

Well, Otto used to be the alpha goat, but since his health has been declining Billy (one of our pygoras) has assumed that position. I can usually do almost anything to Otto from over or through the fence because he loves attention; but this time, as I was petting Otto and getting him ready for his shot Billy had to come and see what he was missing out on therefore shoving Otto away; so, in the pen I go.

It took several shoos to get Billy to leave us alone; I gave Otto a good petting, gave him his shot, and warmed up his ears. Having that done I headed for the gate when I thought I should clean the hay out around their salt lick while I was in there. Just as I crouched down to go in the shelter, BAM. Billy butted me. I didn't even see it coming. Thankfully, since I was somewhat squatted, he got me in the thigh rather than the knee. I was knocked on my butt in the mud and he was standing right by me. All I could think to do was grab him by the horns and hang on so he couldn't butt me in the head and kill or paralyze me. Somehow I managed to get to my feet while holding his horns and yelled for Rocky to come help me so I could get out of the pen safely and hobble to the house.

This is me taking a photo of my own thigh; not an easy thing to do. This is looking down at the outside of my right leg. It is kind of hard to see the bruise closest to my knee in this photo, the two bruises angle toward each other just like the horns grow out of the goat's head. That side of my thigh is hourglass shaped if you look at the profile. Rocky just came in my office and says this picture doesn't do it justice.
It's feeling much better now, but I still have a slight limp. I never realized before how much my thighs jiggle when I walk. Pain shoots across my thigh with every step.

Next time I have to go in the goat pen I'll be packing a big stick.

No comments: