Monday, October 8, 2007

Weekend Alone

Rocky was gone on a hunting trip this weekend and even though I missed him I had a nice relaxed couple days to myself.

I decided I would spend some of the weekend working on a new weaving project. I took a shadow weave class this spring and thought one of the patterns used in class would make nice placemats for our table. The pattern was done on a 16 shaft loom, but since my big loom is only a 12 shaft the instructor, Jannie Taylor, was kind enough to figure out a similar pattern on a 12 shaft.

I got the project all mapped out the previous weekend that Rocky was gone and this weekend was spent getting the loom ready. I've had this loom for a couple of years now, but haven't used it yet. I bought it used and it came with all the heddles in a box. (Heddles are the wire things that the warp threads get threaded through. So every thread running in one direction gets threaded through its own heddle. The weft is wound onto bobbins that fit into shuttles and it gets woven into the warp.) I've spent the last three evenings sorting heddles and fitting them onto the shafts; I still have nine shafts to go, but the heddles are all sorted. I also need to figure out how to put a back apron on the loom, but I think I'll have Rocky help figure that out.

During all this heddle sorting I got to watch some really good movies that Rocky would think were boring. I really recommend The Boy Who Could Fly, Mermaids, and Shall We Dance. I might make Rocky watch Shall We Dance the next time it comes on.

On Saturday I decided to make a run to my local craft store since they were having a sale on something I thought would make nice Christmas gifts. While I was out and about I checked out the St. Vincent de Paul that I noticed the other day. It just happens to be across the street from the http://5stmarket.com/ so I headed over there next. Well, it just so happened that they were having their 1st Annual 5th St. Public Market's Harvest Crush. Many of the local vinyard were there doing wine tasting and a lot of the markets were having samples and demos. I wish I had known about it ahead of time as it would have been fun to go with a friend even though I don't drink. I was kind of wondering around trying to decide what to look at next and a lady came up to me and said, "You know what? I'm leaving and you can have my last three tickets for wine tasting; and here, you can even have my glass." I thought that was very kind of her. I didn't use either, but I did bring the wine glass home; it's a nice glass with the Market's logo on it.

On the way home I hit another thrift store and found a new/used barn coat; then I followed some signs to a Holiday Boutique in the country and picked up a couple more Christmas gifts.

Now it is Monday, Rocky should be home this evening, and my goats found another escape route.


This is Mini and Otto. Mini is the runt of the pygora triplets and Otto (short for Silverado) is the angora. Notice, they are behind the fence. Good goats!







This is kind of hard to see, but Billy is out. The little white arrow is pointing to his head. Pearl found her way back in all by herself, I had to open the gate to let Billy back in.

No comments: