Sunday, September 9, 2007

New Blog

Well, here is my first attempt at blogging. I've been reading and enjoying other blogs for the past few months so I decided to try my own. My time is a bit limited so I won't be a daily poster, but I'll try for weekly and see how it goes.

Yesterday our hay arrived. All the guys were here promptly at 8:00 am, but the truck was a little delayed. The trucker always stops at the store parking lot just down the road from us to leave one trailer while he delivers the other trailer to us. It just so happened that the church had it's men's breakfast yesterday and somebody was parked on the side of the road where the truck turns into the store. The driver thought he could make the corner anyway, but was wrong. The truck and first trailer made the turn, but the second trailer with our hay on it ended up with the wheels centered over the ditch. This meant that he couldn't continue forward or back up without one set of the tires going in and our hay getting dumped.

A very nice man came out from the breakfast, said he lived just up the road and offered to go get his own truck that he uses for hauling dumpsters to back the trailer out. For some reason, only understandable to truckers, his truck was able to do this while our trucker's wasn't. Anyway, he came back with his truck and hooked onto the trailer hitch with a chain. I stood across the street in the church parking lot praying, holding my breath, and stopping traffic as I watched him expertly guide the trailer to the safety of the road asphalt. Just as all sets of trailer tires rolled back onto the street, I let out my breath, and started to cheer I heard a zing at the trailer and then a ping a few feet behind me in the church parking lot. A link in the chain they were using broke with such force that it flew across the street over my head to land about 15 yards behind me. I held my cheer.

They hooked the truck back up to the trailer with two chains this time. It took a little jockeying back and forth before the guy could finally make the turn into the store parking lot with the trailer so our driver could hook up to it with his truck. I finally cheered. I left to come back to the barn and let the guys know that the hay was finally on its way, and it arrived just after 9:00 am. I asked our driver if he got the neighbor's name that was so kind to help and he said he didn't. He offered the man money for his troubles, gas, and chain; but the man refused and said, "Someday you'll help somebody else out."

It took the guys just about two hours to get the hay stacked in the barn. We had an Oregon Duck football party to attend at noon so I got showered and was just headed out the door when Rocky noticed the goats were out. No time to check the fences so I cut up a couple of apples and threw them in their pen to get them back inside, shut the gate and hoped they'd still be in when we got home.

We had a nice afternoon visiting with friends, the Ducks beat Michigan, and the goats were still in when we got back home. All in all, a pretty nice day.

Today was too hot to do any real work so dyed some fiber, got in some knitting, and watched the Seahawk beat Tampa Bay.

1 comment:

hon (alice) scherp said...

hi sunshine, good to hear from you. hope you can put pictures on too. i finally finished my parka and will send pictures to leslie (bless her for sending pictures of everyone). i will be going in tomorrow for teeth out and upper plate in...it may be a little while before i write. hugs.